A DIVE INTO HISTORY
"There’s something new in the sun to-day – but no, More like something old...": San Mauro was the birthplace of the famous poet Giovanni Pascoli, who linked his poetry with his birthplace...
Located just 7 km from San Mauro Mare, the capital of the Municipality of San Mauro Pascoli is located between the rivers Uso, Fiumicino-Rubicone, the Via Antica Emilia and the sea.
"There’s something new in the sun to-day – but no, More like something old..." San Mauro, as is known, was the birthplace of the famous poet Giovanni Pascoli (1855-1912), who linked his poetry with his birthplace, San Mauro di Romagna. In 1932 the name of San Mauro di Romagna was modified, with Royal Decree, in "San Mauro Pascoli" in honor of the great poet Giovanni Pascoli.
The documented origins of the village date back to 1191 when it was first mentioned as "Fundum Sancti Mauri". Recent excavations between the town and the sea have brought to light ancient finds dating back to the final Neolithic period (5000 BC), never found in the Adriatic area.
The historic center, the heart of the town, contains the eigthteenth-century municipal building, purchased in 1874 by public auction at the Finance Office, after being confiscated from the Papacy at the unification of Italy. Originally, the Celibate Orsoline nuns of Rimini were staying here during the summer. The interior can be visited during the opening hours of the municipal offices. Opposite the Town Hall is the former church of San Sebastiano, a tiny building located in the heart of the municipal town. The building, dating back to the second half of the 18th century, originally served as a church-oratory for the nearby convent of the Orsoline (today part of the municipal residence). Now completely restored, it is used as an exhibition hall by the Pascolian Academy. It continues with the Casa Pascoli Museum, a national monument since 1924. Here the poet Giovanni Pascoli was born on 31 December 1855 and he spent the first years of his childhood there. The family, who moved for a short time to the estate "Torlonia" (the Tower), returned there after the death of his father, Ruggero, but, as a result of other misfortunes, was forced to sell it. The poet was very tied to this house where he spent his youth.
The house, dating back to the end of the 1700s, was damaged during the Second World War and later recovered respecting the original structure, so it was transformed into a small museum of Pascoli's memories. Inside, in addition to the kitchen, the visitors can see the study in which they are kept, enclosed in bulletin boards, rare editions of some of his works and numerous autograph letters sent to his friends, and the bedroom, with the very old wooden cradle. Outside, a beautiful garden with some of the plants mentioned by the poet in his poems and in the center of the garden, on a limestone plinth, the bronze bust dedicated to the poet. At the edge of the garden there is still the Chapel of the Madonna dell’Acqua. This church, which today houses two memorials dedicated to the Fallen, boasts more than 100 years of origins; it seems in fact it was built in 1616 on behalf of the Vicar Bishop of Rimini. During the Second World War it was heavily bombed and subsequently rebuilt; the apse part has certainly remained original. The two fronts on the road present a similar score, rich in architectural and decorative elements. Inside, the church has a single nave with a barrel-vaulted apse. To the cultural value of the small artefact is added the testimonial and literary value linked to the literary production of Pascoli. At 2 km from the historic center stands the “Torre", a childhood place of the Poet, and subjected to protection in 1974 as a characteristic and rare example of the romagnola villa of the seventeenth / eighteenth century. Precisely from the eighteenth century until the middle of the nineteenth the Torlonia princes founded here one of the most beautiful agricultural estates in the Romagna region and even today you can see the imposing structures of that beautiful farm.
Almost completely destroyed during the Second World War (the front stagnated between the rivers Usage and Rubicon for several weeks), the country, thanks to the industriousness of its inhabitants, was quickly rebuilt and returned to be an important agricultural center and a well-known center footwear, names such as Casadei, Pollini, Rossi, Baldinini and Vicini are famous examples of shoemaking.
In the same period it developed in San Mauro Mare, the tourist industry.
Latest update: 19/10/2020